Question
Posted by: Just me | 2006/10/27

Gallstones during pregnancy

I am 25 weeks pregnant. Through heavy abdominal pains discovered a gallstone. I have to remove my gallbladder before 28 weeks of pregnancy - will it be safe for the baby? Experts say its best to remove it now than wait for a possible infected gallbladder that might cause problems for the baby if I am in a later stage of pregnancy. I am still not sure what to do. Any advise?

It is a problem either way, but probably safer to have it removed now, than have an emergency later. Abdominal operations can cause preterm labour, but there are drugs to stop this.

1

I will definitely get a second opinion... Problem is that if one of the galstones get stuck in the tube then it is a big problem. But I am not sure if it will be safe to take it out... I had my galbladder remove and it is very painfull. Luckily only for a day or two and then it gets much better, but still I dont think any operation is goood while you are pregnant. If i was you i would go to a surgeon and gets his opinion. Maybe see what Gyneo doc says as well. But you will have to think this thing through carefully. I am sure the medical professionals will know what is possible and what is not. I have heard that you can get a operation without anestetics, so that should be okay. It is luckily a quick operation. Well it should be a quick operation... Good luck I will be thinking of you.. I am sure youwill make the right decision.