Posted by: Lisa | 2008/10/03


I have recently realized something about my mother and myself.. We have strikingly similar medical problems- which isn' t really surprising. But we have both had our appendices removed when we were teens-early adulthood, we both suffer from GERD (I had the surgery to fix this, my mother was diagnosed a week ago with the same condition), we both get headaches around menstruation (mine only developed later in life, as did hers), and we both never developed our wisdom teeth (both had only one tooth grow slightly), and then smaller things about our bodies which are very very alike (as one would expect).

Now my mother also suffered from gallstones many years ago and her gallbladder was removed. I know this is more common in women, and from pregnancy, etc. But I also read that it could also be hereditary. I would like to know what can I do to prevent this from happening to me. I' m pretty young, 25. But I' d like to start eing more pro-active in preventing from suffering from this later in life, as my mother had.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Lisa
Genetics are a fascinating subject and it is common for people to develop similar conditions like their parents or siblings, as is the case with you and your Mom. In regard to gallstones, there can be a genetic component, but diet also plays an important role and members of families often have the same dietary habits which they learn at an early age. To avoid gallstones or lessen the risk of developing them, it will help to eat a low-fat diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat diet. If you are overweight (?) then this diet will also help you to lose weight which is a protective factor against gallstones. If you are not overweight you can use the suggested foods, but have larger portions.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.