Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2007/08/24

Gall Stones

Thank you for your words of encouragement (post 902). If I have my gall bladder removed, will I really stop bloating and being in pain? When I had it diagnosed I was told that the pain and bloating was due to IBS and that removal of the gall bladder would make no difference to my bloating and pain. I will definitely book surgery immediately if I will be more comfortable afterwards? The Doctor who diagnosed me was of the opinion that I could live with gallstones forever and have no adverse effects - he didn't think surgery was worth the bother because so few people experience blockages. I'm very thankful for the advice you have given me already.

Dear Lizzie
If you suffer from IBS, then this is also a condition that can be controlled by taking the correct medication and adjusting your diet. This is something that you need to see a Physician or a Gastroenterologist (dr who specialises in the digestive tract) about. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a search with 'IBS' to find the article I wrote this year on 'NEW LIGHT SHED ON IBS'. I would also get a second opinion about the gallstones because they too can cause pain and abdominal distress. If you have obtained medication from a Physician for your IBS and your symptoms persist then do speak to a surgeon about the gallstones.