Question
Posted by: nollie | 2004/11/11

Gall bladder removed

I had to have my gall bladder removed 5 years ago about three weeks after the birth of my son. Since then I have steadly been picking up weight. In fact I have picked up 10kg. I have always been a size 30-32. Now I have to wear a size 36. I am quite depressed about this and have tried all kinds of diets as well as joining Sureslim. Nothing seems to help. Could it be the fact that because I have no gall bladder be the reason why I cannot lose weight and why I seem to gain weight very quickly. I am now 39 years old and have three boys.

Dear Nollie
I don't think that the absence of the gall bladder would cause weight gain. After such an op your body still produces bile which is used for digestion. At a recent congress on Obesity, the speakers stated that pregnancy is a trigger factor in many women to gain weight. We don't yet know why this should be and why some women do not react like this. It may be a good idea to consult your gp or gynae and have your hormone levels checked as imbalances in thyroid, insulin and female hormones can also cause weight gain. Using a variety of slimming diets, losing some weight and regaining it could also have landed you in the yo-yo dieting cycle which makes it progressively harder to lose weight.
To lose weight you basically need to change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss' site, read about every aspect of slimming (Diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects, etc) by surfing on this site.

2
Posted by: nollie | 2004/11/12

Do you still have the fat free diet. If so could you please email it to me.

Reply to nollie
Posted by: Sue | 2004/11/11

Hi Nollie, I'm sure the Doc will give you much better info, but I'd like to share something with you. I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago. For the first 6 weeks I've been put on a special fat-free diet. Apparently, once your gall bladder is removed, your body forms a new kind of "baggy" to serve the same purpose. But this takes +/- 4 weeks to form, so I've been put on a fat free diet for 6 weeks and went down nearly two pants sizes.

Today, 3 years lates, I'm as big as an ox .... I'm only 29 years old, but weigh just under the 90kg (and after my ops I weighed 68 !!!) I found that a the fat free diet did wonders for me (it will probably differ from person to person) and have received some advice from the Doc (check out my query on 04/11/2004 "Diet after gall bladder removal" and have a look at the Doc's reply!

Just hang in there .....

Reply to Sue