Question
Posted by: Adrian | 2004/11/06

Gall Bladder removed

Hi Doc.

I have had my gall bledder removed and I have no idea what I am allowed to eat and what not. I am quite nauseous and have absoluly no energy. I find that being a diabetic as well as a colestrol sufferer makes me feel very down and out

Please help. What do I eat and what do I need to do

Adrian

Dear Adrian
Because of the complexity of your condition (gall bladder removal, diabetes, high cholesterol) it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area, who will work out a diet for you that firstly makes provision for your diabetes (all diabetics should consult a clinical dietitian because diet is one of the most important facets of your treatment and I think your tiredness and lack of energy is not due to the operation, but to low blood sugar levels) and also addresses the lack of gall bladder and high cholesterol. Both the latter conditions require a low-fat diet which is anyway part of the diabetic diet. So contact a dietitian ASAP. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat diet. Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) and click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' to obtain more information.
Hope you soon feel much better.