Question
Posted by: Andre | 2006/07/14

Gall bladder

Dear Doc,

I had my gall bladder removed some 10 years ago (using the old method where an incision was made across my stomach). Since then I have picked up an enonmous amount of weight and have seldom remained at a constant weight - always increasing.

Over the last year I have gained some 15 kgs and am presently on 136 kgs. Although I am a tall (1.86m) male, the weight is concentrated around my abdomen.

I would like to know:
1.Does the absence of a gall bladder have any bearing on weight gain?

2.Could my condition be related to eg an insulin problem and would you recommend that I approach an expert for tests? (If so, what tests would they be and what would they be looking for?)

I do believe in the positive effects of exercise and healthy eating and have resolved to pay more attention to both.

I thank you for your assistance,

Andre

Hallo Andre
Gall helps with the absorbtion of fat and removal of the gall bladder won't affect this too much as your liver will still be making gall, it just drips into the gut immediately instead of being injected by the gall bladder. You may have insulin resistance and it may be a good idea to ask your GP to check at least the following:
fasting bloodsugar, fasting insulin levels, cholesterol levels and cortisol levels
You may need to go onto a special diet or get a prescription for tablets on top of doing more exercise but your doctor will advice you according to the bloodtest results.