Question
Posted by: kobus | 2007/02/23

Gaining while dieting

My problem is this: im using usn - Protien plex as a afternoon meal replacement. So in the morning i just have a high fibre cereal and then in the evening a meal after gym (gym for n hour a day 6 days a week!!!) what am i doing wrong - my tummy just going bigger and gainer several kilos (did stop smoking will this make a differance)

Dear Kobus
To lose weight you need to reduce your total energy intake for the day to 10 500 kJ, so each meal should not provide more than 3500 kJ. Check if you are perhaps getting more than that from your meal replacement and adjust the portion size. Stopping smoking may cause temporary weight gain, but this will reverse itself as you continue with the energy reduced diet and increased energy output via exercise. The fact that your tummy is getting bigger, puzzles me, as it should be reducing because of all the exercise you do. Are you sure that your tummy is not bloated, instead of fat? If you do suffer from bloating then please see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out what foods are causing this problem. The dietitian will also be able to assess your diet and its energy content to see if you are taking in too much energy to lose weight.
Hang in there