Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2004/11/18

GAINING WEIGHT NO MATTER WHAT I DO

In the past 2 years I have gained +- 10 kg's. My diet is relatively healthy, eating mostly fish and chicken and salads. Of course there is some cheating but nothing that should make me gain so much weight. Life style has had its stresses, divorced twice, 2 children and financial worries. I had my thyroid checked +- 1 year back and that was normal. I had a hernia repair job (nissen fundiplication) and then had to have it redone as it was too tight and have suffered major tummy problems since then. Bloating, constipation etc. Please give me some suggestions as to try and control this problem which is making me feel depressed and ugly

Dear Debbie
Stress and depression can cause weight gain, so if you are suffering from these conditions (which would not be surprising in view of the divorce, the financial problems and the discomfort you suffer from the op), then I would suggest that you consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you)to help you to combat the potential depression or anxiety that you may have. To lose weight need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Holding thumbs that things improve for you.