Question
Posted by: I dont know | 2007/03/07

gaining weight instead of losing

Please help I really dont know what to do now.
I eat healthy most times of the week, cereals in the morning and fruits almost the whole day and bit of vegetables and chicken.
And I exercise 3 to 4 times per week for about an hour per session, but I have not seen any difference since bigining of January. Instead I am gaining weight, and at the gym I do aerobics, treadmill,spinning and the stepper.

Please help, I dont want to use diet pills but I need to lose about 15kg cause I am overweight.

Dear I Don't know
If you are not losing weight when you have reduced your energy intake (?) and increased your energy expenditure then it is possible that you may suffer from a hormonal imbalance. Ask your dr to test you for thyroid deficiency, insulin resistance (IR) and female hormone imbalances (Polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS). If you should suffer from IR or PCOS which is usually associated with IR, then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR and/or PCOS and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the exercise which should help to promote weight loss and stabilise insulin levels.