Question
Posted by: elsa | 2007/05/10

Gaining weight in 24 hours

I got quite a shock this morning. I've been following a healthy weightloss regimen over the past 3 months, and have lost 5.8 kgs. However, this morning I weighed myself and I weighed 1.2kg more than yesterday morning! The only difference in my diet was to add 1/8 avocado & lemon juice to my mixed salad rather than light mayonnaise, and to drink a small glass of 2% milk, rather than eating a small tub of low fat jogurt. Could this have caused such a huge weight gain? I could not believe my eyes.

Dear Elsa
I don't think that the slight changes in your diet have caused your sudden weight gain. It is perfectly normal for body weight to fluctuate by 3 kg or more from day to day and even from morning to night. Factors such as changes in hormone levels, water retention, etc can cause sudden weight increases that will disappear again after a few days. This is one of the reasons why we recommend that individuals who are trying to lose weight should only weigh themselves once a week, otherwise you get too worried and discouraged by the daily fluctuations. So relax, (stress causes the production of cortisol, a hormone that can also increase your weight!), stick to your diet and you will lose this weight again.
Keep up the good work with the healthy weightloss regimen.

1
Posted by: Gus K | 2007/05/10

"I've been following a healthy weightloss regimen over the past 3 months"

It might be time to re-think your "healthy weightloss regimen". More and more research is coming to light (it's always been there, just ignored) touting the benefits of NOT restricting one's fat intake.

I can't post links here but here's a quote from the American Journal of Clinical Nitrition from 2001.

"Body weight decreased with all of the diets, and the greatest loss (3.6 kg average) resulted from 4), the low-calorie diet without fat restriction."

And another from a JAMA 2007 study:

"Those assigned to the Atkins plan, which allows an abundance of meat, fats, and some vegetables but severely limits carbohydrates, had more weight loss and more favorable outcomes for metabolic effects than women on the other three diets. The amount of weight loss at twelve months relative to baseline was 2% to 5%. Average weight loss was 10.4 pounds for Atkins; 3.5 pounds for the Zone; 5.7 pounds for LEARN; and 4.8 pounds for Ornish.

Lipid levels and blood pressures for the Atkins group were comparable or even better than for the other three groups. Fasting glucose concentrations and fasting insulin were not statistically different among the groups. Concerns about possible bad metabolic effects of the Atkins diet were not substantiated during the year. "

And do note that the USA ranked 37th healthwise according to a WHO study made in 2000. While the French, whose diet is 38 - 40% fat, rank number 1.

Reply to Gus K