Question
Posted by: ANONY | 2004/11/10

GAINING WEIGHT BUT DON'T OVER EAT

I just had a baby 5 months ago and didn't pick up much weight whilst pregnant, after the birth I went back to my normal self that is 58kgs. I changed my pill to tryphasil and in two weeks picked up 4kgs. I have balanced meals and I don't ever over eat. I went on diet for two weeks and didn't lose anything instead I keep getting fatter. I want to go back to being the 58kgs that I was. What can I do?

Dear Anony
All female hormone pills have the potential to cause weight gain or hamper weight loss. You need to discuss this problem with the prescribing dr as he/she may be able to change the type of pill you use. I can't judge if your present weight is excessive or not as you don't list your height in metres so that I can work out your BMI. You can click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Tools' to work out your own BMI. If your BMI is between 18 and 25 (the normal range) then you will lose weight more slowly than someone who has 30 kg to lose. I would suggest that you try a balanced, low-energy diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet - compare to what you are eating and make the necessary adjustments), and exercise to lose weight. But first talk to your dr about the hormone pill.