Question
Posted by: sir | 2007/04/10

gaining weight

a rubgy player has to gain weight in 2weeks for more strenght what should he eat?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Sir

I do not know how much weight you would like this player to gain in only 2 weeks, but according to the science I would not anticipate it really being more than a kilo per week otherwise it will most probably be increases in body fat in stead of muscle for strength.
To achieve this you will need to increase the player’s calorie intake by about 300-500 calories per day and make sure that he trains for muscle gain; therefore you will have to determine the player’s basal metabolic rate and add to that the calories used for training plus the 300-500 for the gain. Remember to split the total calorie intake into six meals with the macronutrient ration at 50-60% low GI carbs, 15-25% protein and only 20% fat.

Good luck!
Vanessa