Question
Posted by: Ocram | 2005/11/25

Gaining weight

Hi, I am vegetarian and would like to know how I can gain more weight. I am not that skinny but need to add an extra 4kg. Length 1.69m and weight 61. Have a very fast metaolism and eat a lot of soya. Do not gym and only play tennis

Dear Ocram
Your present BMI = 21,3 which is just below the ideal of 22 for which you would need to weigh 63 kg, so you don't need to gain much weight actually. Just increase the size of the portions you eat moderately and have a healthy snack once or twice a day (e.g. dried fruit, nuts, wholewheat biscuits, etc). You can for example also add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to your daily intake, i.e. use in salads or on cooked veg. It may also be a good idea to have your thyroid function checked by your dr just to make sure that it is not overactive.