Question
Posted by: charldene | 2003/12/08

gaining weight

Hi am a a 20 year old woman with a bit of a problem, I am very small and petit. I have been skinny my whole life long, but it is getting so bad that people think that I have a eating disorder. I have noticed that if I eat during the day (breakfast and/or lunch) I am not hungry come dinner time, I am about 1.3m tall and only weigh 39kg's I have wieghed 39 kg's for the past 2 years and I just can't seem to pick up weight, cloths that I brought this winter are now so big for me that I have to pin them tighter so that they don't fall of, when I buy my underwear I normally by extra smalls but they now sit on my like a large. I have spoken to my GP and he says that I should just eat fatty foods and drink a mass builder, I don't think that it is working and I have a bit of problem with eating fatty foods and it is very unhealthy, I have stopped exercising and become a coach potato because I think that it will help a bit with pickingup weight, I am getting so thin that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings for work let alone get seen naked infront of my fiance, I hate looking in the mirror because I just see skin and bone. Being so skinny is giving a very low self-esteem, what can I do to pick up weight and fast (but the healthy way) I am really desperate and I feel really depressed every morning and night PLEASE HELP

Dear Charlene
I surmise that the gp tested you for overactive thyroid? If not, go back and have this checked out. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian as you need individual advice on what foods and supplements you can use to gain mass. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian.