Posted by: charldene | 2003/12/08

gaining weight

Hi am a a 20 year old woman with a bit of a problem, I am very small and petit. I have been skinny my whole life long, but it is getting so bad that people think that I have a eating disorder. I have noticed that if I eat during the day (breakfast and/or lunch) I am not hungry come dinner time, I am about 1.3m tall and only weigh 39kg's I have wieghed 39 kg's for the past 2 years and I just can't seem to pick up weight, cloths that I brought this winter are now so big for me that I have to pin them tighter so that they don't fall of, when I buy my underwear I normally by extra smalls but they now sit on my like a large. I have spoken to my GP and he says that I should just eat fatty foods and drink a mass builder, I don't think that it is working and I have a bit of problem with eating fatty foods and it is very unhealthy, I have stopped exercising and become a coach potato because I think that it will help a bit with pickingup weight, I am getting so thin that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings for work let alone get seen naked infront of my fiance, I hate looking in the mirror because I just see skin and bone. Being so skinny is giving a very low self-esteem, what can I do to pick up weight and fast (but the healthy way) I am really desperate and I feel really depressed every morning and night PLEASE HELP

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Charlene
I surmise that the gp tested you for overactive thyroid? If not, go back and have this checked out. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian as you need individual advice on what foods and supplements you can use to gain mass. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.