Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2005/12/15

Gaining muscle mass

Would you be so kind as to inform me upon the most effective dietary applications enforced in order to gain muscle mass. Please bear in mind scheduled consumation times as well as the nutritional characteristics of the given foodstuffs. I follow an exercise regime first thing upon awakening.

Dear Suzanne
The most important factor in the development of muscle mass is the type of exercises you do, preferably weight-bearing exercises. From a dietary point of view you need a diet that is rich in carbohydrates to fuel your exercise sessions and a moderate amount of protein (about 2g per kg of body weight). It is NOT necessary to increase your protein intake excessively as this may harm your kidneys. If you click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' you can read the articles on Diets for Sportsmen and women which should help.