Question
Posted by: Aby | 2004/10/26

Gaining instead of losing?

Hi, I am at my wits end. I have been following all the 'rules' of healthy living and yet I am steadily putting on weight instead of losing it. I have a high fibre breakfast everyday, I eat small regular meals during the day (lots of fruit) , I eat my carb portion at lunchtime, my dinners are light and I limit meat to once a week. I drink plenty of water, haven't touched bread and excercise for half an hour every morning - surely I should be losing something? I've never been skinny, and come from a line of 'curvy' women, but this is the biggest I have ever been. It just seems that the more I try the more I gain. I really don't believe in diet pills or milkshakes and would rather not have to count everything I eat. Any ideas?

Dear Aby
I a case like yours it is possible that although you are eating healthy food, your total energy intake may exceed your energy requirement. Then there is also the potential problem of hormone imbalances (female hormone, thyroid and insulin). It may be a good idea to consult a medical dr to check if you do have a hormone imbalance. You can also try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet), together with your exercise. You can also try increasing the intensity of your exercise.

7
Posted by: Zee | 2004/10/27

Why dont youu guyz join Weigh-loss programme.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/26

no way, i stay away from tablets and stuff. Its not so much a diet we should be on, its more a healthy lifestyle. I dont believe in shakes and tablets etc, they're all a hoax as far as im concerned, you have to earn it! Plus those things may work temporarily, but you end up picking up all the weight again plus more!

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Maria | 2004/10/26

I'm with you'll on this one. I tried everything, tablets, diet food and no results...
What am i doing wrong??

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/26

I'm with you girls on this one! It gets very depressing....do you think it's possible to gain weight the more you focus your attention on losing weight, as like a side affect from stressing cuz we're not losing weight?

Reply to Rene
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/10/26

yup, same here...it is driving me insane! Why do we women have to go through this? Eat sensibly, excercise everyday, but still gaining and I don't think it is muscle!

Reply to Jenna
Posted by: YCA | 2004/10/26

Me Too Girls ..... and it's making me so friggin depressed!
I don't eat any bread, rice, pasta (and I love pasta), I'm eating my main meal at night, although it's just a little meat and salad or veggies and I'm exercising for an hour 3 or 4 times a week. I eat a little all day long, a salad or fruit for lunch. Why do we do this to ourselves. I am on the contraceptive injection, could this be a reason. On top of it I'm only 5ft tall so every little extra inch shows.....
DietDoc, help please!

Reply to YCA
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/26

Aby, i'm having exactly the same problem! The harder i try to be healthy, the more i seem to put on!

Reply to Rene