Question
Posted by: worryalot | 2008/01/21

GAD or OCD or OCPD

From research...GAD is usually about "unfocused" worries, or worries about "everyday" things, where the worry is unreasonable.

OCD is worry, or intrusive thoughts, followed by some compulsion or ritual.

OCPD about perfectionism, rules etc.

I see myself in some of all of these, but after looking at the diagnosis criteria, I fall short of a few requirements for any of them.

Years ago, I was concerned I got HIV after being exposed to blood. I washed my hands a lot but that was an isolated incident and I never had that type of anxiety after that. I sometimes think I left something on, and have to check.

Now, I have very specific worries, I know what I am worrying about, they are focused worries. I will think of something that can happen, and obsess over it. Or, perhaps there is some truth to the worry, something is broken, or someone is sick, and I will automatically assume the worst will happen. I feel the need to be in control, as a way to prevent something bad from happening, though I know I can't control everything.

I am able to work, take care of myself, my house and family. But sometimes, during a specific worry, I get very scared, and it's not a great feeling.

I am in therapy, and considering trying medication as well.

I was told I have OCD and after that, no, but GAD. I am told it is very rare for them to happen together, Yet 2 different doctors had differing opinions. I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow, and want to ask questions and understand this all before I go on any meds, and want to make sure I am getting the right therapy.

These conditions obviously overlap quite a bit, and there's no reason why GAD might not co-exist with OCD, and especially with Obsessive personality. . But the way to be more sure of a diagnosis and to use it to choose effective help, would be to see a goo local shrink for a proper assessment and discussion. What you describe sounds like an obsessive personality, and CBT can help to modify this usefully, just as it can be really useful, in OCD. Other forms of therapy are much less helpful, and analytic type psychotherapy, at best useless and a waste of money, can be particularly unhelpful in an obsessive person, and is not to be recommended at all.
GOod luck seeing the new doctor, who can hopefully do a competent assessment with an open mind, explain the criteria he is using to make whatever diagnosis he makes, and what evidence he relies on to select therapy for the problem he identifies. Let us know what happens !