Posted by: Mel | 2008/02/03

GAD???? etc.


I don't know where I am at the moment except my husband says I am an unhappy person and need therapy. I cannot even have a normal conversation with anyone without crying. I don't go into a depressed state where I want to lie in my bed and do nothing but I do feel unbelievably angry and get aggressive at times and the crying for no reason worries me. We are in a financial predicament at the moment because things worked out a bit different to what we planned. I have a suspicion that I have GAD. My kids have given me a lot of problems in the past couple of years and lately it is getting worse and I feel as if the situation is out of control. They are grown-ups but I still feel responsible and get angry when they do not take responsibility for their actions. Should I see a hypnotherapist because since my bad experience with my son & daughter with psychologists & psychiarists, I don't trust anybody. I need help urgently and cannot be hopping around from one person to the next to find out if we are on the same level. I also have serious road rage and cannot seem to control that at this stage. What should I do?????

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Well, at the very least this sounds like a very uncomfortable situation. That mixture of easy crying without being expressly depressed, irritability, anger and aggression, sounds like someone under pressure and sress, and could indeed be related to a GAD or other anxiety disorder. And the road rage is of course a significant risk to you and even to others.
But it is impossible to choose an effective treatment without a competent expert diagnosis --- this is one reason why I despair when people want to start with a hypnotherapist, who, unless FULLY trained and accredited as a psychiatrist or psychologist ( and if they were, they wouldn't limit themselves by calling themselves a Hypnotherapist, a claim which currently needs NO training or qualifications, and for which there ae NO officially recognized qualifications ) --- it's like selecting a sub-category of surgeon before you know what's causing your belly-ache.
So you need to see a good local properly qualified psychiatrist or psychologist for a full assessment and diagnosis, and then a calm discussion of treatment options.
If, as you suspect, this IS a GAS, or a Depression, or any anxiety or depressive disorder, Hypnosis would NOT , according to any competent expert group or consensus. Some medications like antidepressants can be effective, and CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) has also been proved to be effective and to have lasting benefits. There is NO comparable evidence that hypnotherapy is useful in these conditions.
And for further support, contact the Depression / anxiety support group ( number on these pages ).
Sorry if you have had any bad previous experience with shrinks ( sadly, you may have met the wrong shrinks for you ) but seeking ineffective medicine from people lacking the proper qualifications, won't help, for sure !

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Mel | 2008/02/05

Thanks Blue

Having a really bad day today. Just can't seem to get out of this hole at the moment but do realise I have to do something drastic about it.

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Blue | 2008/02/05

Hi there

I have sufferedf from GAD and depression for a few years now.

You may need to take an antidepressent for a while to help you cope as well as go for Cognitive behaviour therapy. (You can go to a normal doctor who can refer you to a good therapist)

You need to know that it is common - alot of people are going though the same thing so you are not alone.
There are support groups out there - try google depression and anxiety group of south africa - they have alot of helpful advice.

Reply to Blue

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.