Question
Posted by: Susie | 2007/08/17

GAD and Meds

Hi CS,

In your experience which is the best anti depressant to take to help with GAD?

Thank you.

Unfortunately for those of us ( myself included ) who would like there to be a simple and clear answer to this question, I don't think there is one. I think the SSRI antidepressants seem the most useful, but haven't seen any good evidence leading one to prefer one over another --- there's bound to be considerable variation between people, as there is in how we respond to these drugs in treating depression.
Part of the snag is that there is pathetically little funding for research to answer such questions. Though the major drug companies spend a fortune on research, it's obviously mainly aimed at proving that their drug is effective for condition X, rather than to compare it with other really effective drugs, in case their own didn't show up quite so well !