Posted by: gap | 2008/10/15


Hi CS,

I have just read up on the treatment for GAD which I have been diagnosed with. Although I have a full time job (minium wage) and medical aid. I still will not be able to afford treatment as in medication and thearapy. Long term treatment that is. Can I be treated in hospital for GAD? I am covered by medical for 21 days in hospital for a mental disorder.
I don' t know what else to do. I need help as the worry is really becoming too much. I could only afford 4 thearapy sessions last year, but they were not enough. Can you advise me please.

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

THis is actually one of the stupidities of the medical Aid rules. It is often cheaper to admit someone to hospital unnecessarily, than to give them much cheaper treatment as an outpatient. Check on the availability of self-help books to add to therapy, and call FAMSA who may be able to find yopu a CBT oriented therapist ( no other form of therapy for GAD is as effective ) who may have more reasonable rates charged. Medication with a drug otherwise used to treat depression, an SSRI, can be provided by your GP as an outpatient. ANd I don't think your hospital coverage would include therapy of the sort you need

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.