Question
Posted by: Yaffa | 2007/06/21

Gaba, Dopamine & Acetylcholine deficient

IF I am deficient in the above three neurotransmitters, how can I modify my diet so that I am getting more of what I need on a daily basis. Is this possible or do I need supplements and them, what supplemets.

Yaffa

There isn't one single shred of good scientific evidence that ANY form of diet influences brain transmitters in any useful way. If there were, we would be recommending diets rather than medicines. There is remarkably little evidence that ANY of the "supplements' so profitably marketed in the stores are needed by anyone who eats a reasonably normal diet. While in some conditions one might theoretically have a RELATIVE lack of dopamine, remember that this refers NOT to the amount of any such chemical within your body as a whole, or produced by any diet, but to the RELATIVE amount of such chemicals present in minute amounts at specific nerve endings within the brain. And nothing so simple as a diet or supplements could achieve the necessary correction -- that's why it took so long to devise drugs which would change the effective amounts of such chemicals available in the right places.