Question
Posted by: PAIN | 2008/06/24

FYBROMYALGIA

After thousands of tests that left me financially ruined I was diagnosed with fybromyalgia and have been living in pain for 2 years now. My Dr.'s doesn't seem to know much about this syndrome and their treatment is not helping. Can you PLEASE give me the contact details of a support group in Pretoria? Maybe their recommendations would prove more helpfull, it is destroying my life. I use to be an cyclist and after a 100km race 2 years ago my muscles never recovered, I can't excercise and gained 40kg they have got me on anti-depressants and it's not working neither is conventional pain killers.

Dear Pain
I don’t know of support groups in Pretoria but contact Anita Ludski 021-554-0059 or 082-905-3755 / 082-902-4504 as she may be able to help?

3
Posted by: Ina | 2008/07/18

You can also visit a good homeopath. I am seeing one at Suarsi Health Enterprises, and she has really helped me a lot. Her number is 011 958 1883.

Reply to Ina
Posted by: PAIN | 2008/06/24

Thanks for the tip, I 'll speak to my Dr. about Cymbalta. Do you know which tests they did to confirm your FMS? Do you still suffer from any of the symptoms? Does the fatigue also improve? Thanks

Reply to PAIN
Posted by: susie | 2008/06/24

I experienced the same that you went through. In the end, I actually self-diagnosed through research on the internet. Once I did that, told my doctors, who then did tests which confirmed it. I understand there is a drug used in the states called Lyrica used for FMS. My doctor prescribed "Cymbalta 60". This is an anti-depressant, but when prescribed for FMS patients it was found to also kill the pain. After a a few weeks, I was already feeling better. I have been taking it for over a year now, and if I run out and do not renew my script, within a few days I cannot walk etc. I have also researched this drug on the net, and have found that in the USA, there is a move to have the FDA approve it as a listed drug for the treatment of FMS. Just over a year ago I was almost bed-ridden and needed a walking stick. Today I live a full life. Good Luck

Reply to susie