Question
Posted by: Tjomma | 2007/06/03

fusion of T3,4,5 and C4,5,and 6

I had a fusion on the T3,4 and 5 vertebrae and C4,5,and 6 on 7 March 2007. I experiance a lot of discomfort ,spasms and pain.For how long will these symptons still last and when will it be safe to start execising again which I think /hope will relieve some of the symptoms . According to the MR scans and X-Rays the fractures have healed.
After an injury like this what type of "permanent symptons" are likely to remain. Presently I suffer from bladder control, constipation, numbness in the right arm and leg and lack of balance.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Tjomma:

How long will symptoms last?
Generally, it takes 6 weeks for the fracture to begin healing. However, it has been reported that it could take up to 1 year for the fracture to have completely healed. Symptoms can persist during this period of healing.

Types of permanent symptoms?
Some people have reported discomfort, numbness sensations in the arms and legs, and occasional pain.

When is it safe to start exercising again?
Generally, you can start exercising 6 weeks after the operation. The initial exercises should be focused on strengthening your core stabilisers. Examples of core muscles are the Transverse abdominus and the Multifidus muscles. It is also recommended that you avoid all high impact activities during this time and avoid excessive twisting motions of the spine. By working closely with a rehabilitation team (Specialist physician, Physiotherapist and Biokineticist), you would be guided through a strategy that would ensure maximum functionality with minimum recovery time and pain.

Will exercise help relieve the pain?
Yes, I believe that exercise therapy would assist in the reduction of your pain. As mentioned above, this would best be achieved through the use of a rehabilitation team.

Go well.

1
Posted by: pp | 2007/06/22

I had fusions done 18mths ago plus rods put into my back. I followed the Drs orders to the letter. After 6 mths he said I could start getting back to normal which I did very slowly. 3 mths later he discovered the rods had broken. I was back to -sq1. Wasn't allowed to do anything. It's now 18mths since op and I can only now say I go more that a day or 2 without any discomfort. So I'm afraid a long hard walk, don't be impatient. I wasn't and am still not fit enough to walk more than 5 ks on a good day. Don't listen to the Drs listen to your body. I am very disappointed as it is the first time i've listened to a Dr and from running everyday, playing squash, aerobics 3 times a week I'm a slob. BUT it is getting better so eventually I'll come right of that I'm sure just don't get impatient and try to hurry it along. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Reply to pp