Posted by: Adrian | 2010/12/09

Fused bone

Good Day,

I just want to get more information regarding a fused bone, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and broke my middle finger at the second joint from the top. Whilst I was in hospital going to surgery, the surgeon fused the bone together at that joint. Now I’ m unable to hold a fist and if I had to had a fist it looks like I’ m showing you the middle finger. I have been to a orthopaedic specialist and he advise me that this cannot be repair by at this day and age I’ m hoping to get a solution. I have the X-rays.

Please can you refer my to the best orthopaedic specialist in SA.

Kind Regards,

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

The orthopedic hand surgeon whom I have a very high regard for is Dr Martin Wells in Cape Town

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Dr JL Crane | 2010/12/18

Dear Adrian,

A joint replacement could help your problem, but this depends on how long your finger has been stiff for and what function you expect from it.

Mike solomons and steve carter are two of the best hand surgeons based at Vincent Palotti hospital in Cape Town.

Jason Crane

Reply to Dr JL Crane

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.