Question
Posted by: Miems | 2008/02/01

Funny Knee

Hi Ross

I do a lot of walking to keep fit. Lately I have this funny feeling in my knee. But hard to explain. When I walk for about 200m, it feels like a bone is rubbing on the inside of my leg by my knee. It's not on the knee, but next to it. To be more precise, it;s my left knee on the right side of it. It feels like something is loose and it cause pressure. Does this make any sense? I did hurt my knee about 15 years ago. (I was a teenager then). But it only came back now. I'm doing a 15km walk tomorrow, and I'm scared it's going to cause problems. And I have to do this walk, as it's for work. It is only tomorrow afternoon, so if you can please tell me what to do, I can get it fixed before the race!! Or if you have any idea what it can be, I would know how to treat it if it gives me more problems. I'm a 32 year old female and very active...

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Miems

Difficult to say, obviously, whtout some kind of examination by a doctor. But often times (not always, mind you), this kind of problem is caused by the movement of the knee not quite being perfect along the groove it sits in. And that is often caused by muscle weakness on one side of the muscles that control the knee - the location of the pain (the inside) seems to suggest this might be the cause. That's not a diagnosis, bear in mind, but a possibility.

So I think that you might get away with the 15km walk, but then you need to probably back off on the walking a little - usually about 50 to 60% of the training is enough to see the problem go away. So maybe do the walk, but then take some time off (especially if it's sore) and then work your way up again.

Then in terms of treating for the future, the best bet might be to see someone. But for some decent exercises to do anyway, try introducing squats into your daily routine - maybe 30 squats a day, and then 20 single-leg squats where you only go down halfway on each side. that helps to strengthen the muscle and hopefully will keep your knee right in the future.