Posted by: vicky | 2008/09/22

fungus in toe nail

hi there,
my daughter has had a fugus infection in her one toe nail for aroung 4 years. she unfortunatly doesnt stay with me. she lives in KZN with her father his girlfriend and her brother. Ive got anti fungus creams to put on from doctors. But it needs constant cleaning. and constant treatment. So when she visits me i treat it and clean underneath the nail. The whole toenail is misformed. Unforuunatly they dont treat it at all. And just leaves it. It has never gone away. The one doctor recomented that when she is bigger, he will remove it and then treat it. Then she will be able to have a normal toenail grow again. My daughter never stays long enough for me to get it under controll with the ointments ect. But im worried that it could cause a infection in het toe, and that she could have bigger problems later. What can i do? she will be with me from the 6 of december till after Christmas. Were can i take her to see if they cant help her? Im in the pretoria area. i dont have medical aid. and would have to carry the costs all on myself.
And my son 6 years old has this wart under his little foot. they are also just leaving the thing. and everytime i see my son its grown bigger. i have spoken to their father but he says he will have a look. but nothing chages. What could i do about that. is the best to have it burnt off?

please help
thanks so much.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Vicky

Fungal toenail infections are very common and unfortunatly quite complicated to treat. The best results will be from a course of anti-fungal medication which will need prescription from a doctor. Sporanox and Lamisil are two examples of these tablets. Both are quite expensive but will give the best chance of fixing the problem. The next product I recommend which is available without prescription from a pharmacy is Loceryl which is a clear anti-fungal nail varnish. It is simple to use and only needs to be applied once weekly. Removing the nail is an option but there is no garuantee that the new nail will not also be infected. My advice would be to go to a podiatrist in your area and they will help you with the best possible course of action.

Ask the podiatrist to have a look at the wart as well. They can be burnt of with liquid nitrogen which can give excellent results.

Posted by: Hans | 2009/05/20

My left foot' s big toe nail is very painfull. The outsides is turning in and the centre of the nail is very thick. If you press on top of the nail in the middle it is extreme pain , even if you lift the toe up and its makes contact with the shoe , sheets , ect you feel the pain. Walking is ok provided there are no pressure. Also after the nail gets in contact with water it is highly sensitive and painfull for hours. The pressing and contact with water is more painfull than the sides turning into the flesh. What could be the problem ? What is the treatment recommended ? Thanks

Reply to Hans
Posted by: Dirk | 2009/02/07

I do treat both my big toe nails with Loceryl. What do I need to know is about the nail itself. I filed the nail very thin. Where does the fungus grow from. From the tip of the nail or from the nail bed. This is the second time I treated my nails. The first time was not succesfull because I could not get the nail thin enough. Will the nail eventually grow out normally, because my nails dont grow out they just become thicker and thicker. The doctor prescribe the medicine, but there was no instruction from the the doctor on how you have to apply the medicine. The instructions on the medicine itself only indicate that the nail to filed, apply the liquid after the cleanig process. Hope you can help

Reply to Dirk