Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2007/02/28

Fungi toenails

I harldy wear closed shoes and never go to public showers, etc and I have this fungal toenail condition. My toenails are now weak and soft and crumble at the smallest stub of the toe. What medication can I take to get rid of this infection and how long does the medication take to kick in? Can I get this medication over the counter or do I need to get a script? Do I have to visit a podiatrist or can my GP script the medication? In general, do medical aid companies fund this medication over the counter or only from scripts?

Expert ImageArchive

You must see euther a podiatrist, dr or dermatologist. you need to have a fungal culture taken and the prescription must be based on the results of the culture.. The meds are prescription only and you will need to take them for at least 3 months

1
Posted by: June | 2007/03/01

It sounds as if you may have Candida. Cut out all sugar and refinded carbohydrates and the problem might go away. The trouble with fungal toenails is that the yeast is deepley embedded and anti-fungal creams and lotions can't get to the problem.

Reply to June