Question
Posted by: Nasty Nails | 2003/01/30

Fungal toenail infections

I am suffering from fungal toenail infections and was advised to use wheat germ oil to get rid of the fungus. i was warned that this would take some time, but it has been a year now and my toenails are much worse. i am aware that there is medication that one can take but that a course of medicine costs about R1500 !! I have just read an article on the Health 24 site that suggests that the following treatments can be used amely "itraconazole, terbinafine and fluconazole" are these medicines also expensive ?? Do you know of a generic or cheaper type that one could use? I have tried treatments like the Lamasil creams but they have ow effect. Can you help?

NN, the drugs you listed are all very expensive, but your medical aid should pay for them on your chronic medication option if your doctor has proved the diagnosis. He should send away nail clippings to the laboratory and have them identify the fungus. You should then apply for chronic medication authorisation as it may take up to 9 months to treat. Once you have the go ahead, you can start taking the drugs. Good luck.