Question
Posted by: Me | 2006/11/14

Fungal Nail Infection

I have a fungal infection (caused I think by using false nails) under both thumbnails and one other finger - the rest seem fine. I've had this for over a year and it seems to get better and worse but never goes away completely. At worst it's painful, and the nail takes on a greenish hue in places which gradually darkens as the nail grows out.
The pharmacist recommended I apply Hydrogen Peroxiide neat under the nails, wait for it to stop fizzing, scrub the nails and apply neat tea tree oil. After this is dry I should apply the Lamasil 1% spray she gave me. She was however very disinterested and told me I would probably never get rid of it or it would take years. I just wanted to know if she was correct in saying this, and if the treatment she prescribed is correct/effective? (I'm a bit worried about the effects of applying Hydrogen Peroxide? I seems to leave white marks where it drips on my skin?)
Many thanks
Me

Dear Me
Rather take lamisil tablets for 6 weeks - works much better - expensive though....

2
Posted by: Me | 2006/11/15

Thanks Cyberdoc
I am on the pill and cannot take the chance of getting pregnant now - are Lamasil tablets going to affect my birth control in the same way antibiotics do? (I also am VERY prone to thrush, even with taking probiotics, so I avoid antibiotics of any kind if possible.) Do I need a prescriptioin for the Lamasil tabs? Also, is the topical treatment recommended by the pharmacist accurate, i.e. safety established using Hydrogen Peroxide? Those white 'blisters" after use worry me.
Thanks for your advice Anne, I am actually already using Lizgy and have seen a slight improvement, but think I need something stronger:(
Me

Reply to Me
Posted by: Anne | 2006/11/14

Hi Me, thre is a product named "Lizgy" that might be able to help - I don't think one can list a web address but if you Google "Lizgy" I'm sure you'll get some info. I have been using this product to encourage a almost dead nail to grow, remove a blood blister at the base of the nail in a deep ridge about a quarter of the way into my toenail and have had excellent results

Reply to Anne