Question
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/01

Full story of schizo neighbour

Our neighbor is a certified bi-polar, manic depressive schizophrenic. She is 'unable' to work, and doesn't do anything the whole day, except for drinking. This results in her being unable to take her medication, and we are subjected to episodes which have in the past included her calling the police at 01:00 AM cause she heard someone in her yard (which was a false alarm, as our dogs would've barked), her claiming that my wife & I call her, and then pretend not to(?!?!), her calling the cops cause she claims that other people in our security complex are spying on her. This is but some of the incidents. I have tried calling her parents (which I don't want to do, as they are in their 80's), and her sister, but I presume they don't care at all, coz they don't do anything about the drinking. Her sister has threatened me with an interdict when I threatened to call Weskoppies, (which I did, and apparently the cops will take her to HF Verwoerd for observation if I am prepared to make a case against her, which I'm not) I have closed up a gate between her yard & ours, which seems to have now made it clear to her that we don't want to have anything to do with her (we attempted to be there for her, but a friendship like this is honestly too much hard work. We are trying to get pregnant, and it doesn't help to be called at 02:00AM when she wants to borrow a ladder!) But what do we do when she starts becoming an issue again? I just feel that she is in no way our responsibility (she's 10 years older than us!), but what to do with her when her family clearly doesn't care about her well-being? She is obviously unable to take care of herself & live on her own. Last weekend my dad & I smelt dagga when we were standing outside our home. She is claiming that her neighbors above her are terrorizing her, that another resident is spying on her... Her parents bought her the house, & a car (which was stolen recently), and they pay all her bills. Her house is a pig sty ( -|- roaches running to our home lately) and she couldn't be bothered to get a domestic. She'd rather use her pension money to buy crap (a new DVD player, etc) which she never uses. She was previously in Weskoppies, but then released (into the "care" of her sister, who couldn't care less about her) I spoke to Matron Mary at Weskoppies (to find out what my rights are), and she said that someone has to accept responsibility for her... I have requested permission from the Body Corporate to extend a wall separating our units, but that's pending. Anyway, why should I spend thousands to be isolated from her? (We are spending A LOT of money currently on fertility treatments to get pregnant - we're a lesbian couple) Oh, and the only friends that she has are other Schizophrenics. They sleep during the day, and then come over at night and they are REALLY loud! Then, on a weekend, when I am gardening (or doing anything outside), I get slammed doors from her. When we entertain friends, she claims that she can hear us talking about her. When we laugh, she claims that we're laughing at her. When I tell my dogs to "GET OUT!", she claims that I'm calling "DANEL", and then denying that I did. As if we have time for her childish games?!?! This whole episode is really putting a strain on us.

I agree with Tango. But try to remember, too, that however enormously irritating this all is, just as she's wrong in thinking that you're laughing at her, etc ( though I suppose you ARE, understandably, talking about her, here --- odd behaviours can make some od beliefs come true ) --- you can fall into the trap of feeling as though her utterances and behaviours are somehow directed against you. In truth, they're expressions of her untreated illness, which happen to affect you without actually being about you, and are not intended to bother you as they do.

2
Posted by: Me | 2008/07/03

Well, all fair and well, but when her sister starts phoning & threatening me, and when my wife & I are woken at 2 in the morning because of her paranoia, it becomes my problem...

Reply to Me
Posted by: Tango | 2008/07/01

Why not call the Dept of Social services and ask to speak to a Social Worker. They will be able to acess and make the right decisions about her care.

Good luck with the baby!

Reply to Tango