Question
Posted by: Layla | 2007/02/26

Frustrated/hurt/stressed

On valentines day my car was stolen. Really frustrated as it was my first car, it was brand new and remained this way until it was stolen. One can only imagine the stress of having to deal with the insurance people and police. Since then my car was found but instead of being relieved about it I am even more frustrated. I dont want the car back. I dont know what condition the car is in but I do know that I dont want it back. I feel really depressed. My boyfriend doesnt understand and thinks I'm over-reacting - but he always thinks that until something bad happens to him and then everyone must console him. He's not helping the situation at all.
I guess I really just need someone to talk to.

Layla

You are over-reacting to a degree, and don't make hasty decisions before you have settled down emoptionally a bit more. Maybe you feel the car you were so happy with and proud of, has been somehow spoiled by the theft ( that feeling of viiolation is common ) --- but if you take it back, you can get over this emotional block, and return to enjoying the car again --- and could sell it later, at a suitable time, when it becomes sensible to replace it.

4
Posted by: Layla | 2007/02/26

Thank you for your advice Perplexed. It's greatly appreciated. Its hard when your friends and family dont understand your feelings. An outsiders opinion really counts in times like these.

Layla

Reply to Layla
Posted by: Perplexed | 2007/02/26

Maybe it would be better to sell your car if you don't get any joy from your insurance company. Of course you feel violated and rightfully so. You will only associate "negative feelings" with your car. I really hope that this awful situation will be cleared up very soon and that you will be able to claim back the independence that was taken from you.

Reply to Perplexed
Posted by: Layla | 2007/02/26

Well the insurance people aren't giving me any information and if they give me the car back I just want to sell it.
I know I'll never get my monies worth but I feel so violated. I dont know what was done to the inside or outside of the car and I would rather not have to deal with it.
Its like no one understands the frustration of having your only indepedance taken away from you in a heart beat.

Reply to Layla
Posted by: Perplexed | 2007/02/26

Shame Layla, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would have felt exactly the same as you. Last year somebody drove into the back of my car. My car wasn't even a year old. I actually considered selling it after it was repaired, but decided not to.

I completely understand your frustration. Sometimes our loved ones are not in a position to wave a magic wand and make everything alright again, but what we do want and need from them is compassion, support and love.

Reply to Perplexed