Question
Posted by: Helpless | 2007/08/06

Frustrated with moody friend

Hi CS

Need some advice. My best friend is driving me crazy. She is extremely moody and gets easily offended and defensive. She is also very selfish and things have to go her way or she doesn’t join in on activities or join us when she is invited to go do something. It has become so bad that when we arrange (me and my husband) to hang out with them (she and her boyfriend) then we actually prepare ourselves for the worst and when she is actually nice and we have a good time we are surprised.

We have now arranged to visit a game farm this coming long weekend and we are so afraid that it will turn out awful because of her. You just never know what you are going to get. When something does tick her off then she immediately withdraws and becomes quiet and either goes off on her own or goes to bed and ignore the rest of us for the rest of the day.

We used to just accept it and let her be until she becomes better and join in again, but it is really starting to irate us. As her down are becoming more that her ups. She gets upset very easily and to confront her about it will just result in a huge argument.

She has been on anti-depressant but is not at the moment. How are we supposed to deal with her when she gets like that?

Why is someone like this your best friend ? Have you no alternatives for that honour ? Why do you seem to feel responsible for making her happy ? That's her task, not yours. She should be seeing a counsellor for CBT, as well as possibly taking an antidepressant, and needs to see a shrink for advice on all this. She shouldn't be sharing and spreading her depression