Question
Posted by: Chief Cook and Bottle Washer | 2004/12/09

Frustrated

I am so angry I could spit!

When I tried to switch on the stove on Monday night, only 1 plate was working. I complained bitterly but luckily two of my four kids were away so it wasn't the end of the world. I bought new fuses but the stupid thing still won't work.

Today is Thursday and after two nights of beans on toast the selfish pig I live with is still no closer to getting someone the fix the stove.

I said I would get a repairman out and he was horrifed because of the costy, he'll get a friend to do it. WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to go home, have a nice hot bath, a few drinks and leave the 5 of them to make their own arrangements!

Sorry, just letting off some steam but am I so wrong for wanting the stupid thing fixed?

You know, there's an excellent song in the musical The Rink ( with Liza Minelli and Chita Rivera ) called "Chief COok and Bottle Washer" --- I think you'd enjoy it ! Excellent idea to leave it to them to see to the cooking till the stove is fixed. If nothing moves, you might try taking out the two working fuses, too, so they're down to COLD bakebeans on damp bread, and maybe that'll move them ?
Star, some great ideas, but you're making me hungry, darn it ! Liza, do you do house-calls ?

4
Posted by: Nita | 2004/12/10

Liza, I'm with you on this one, sometimes a woman can't just wait for a man, you'll wait your life away.

When I have a flat tyre, or needed to set up a new washing machine, I did it all on my own.... INDEPENDENCE!

And if I can;t seem to fix the stove, then i'll take myself out for a takeout each night, and leave them to notice that there is no supper due to the stove not working, maybe that way something will get done sooner!

Reply to Nita
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/09

Liza I need a new ceiling ;) *grin* just kidding.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Liza | 2004/12/09

Not at all. There are just some things that should be done as soon as possible. Fixing a broken stove is one of those. Now if it were me, I'd be pulling the toolbox closer and opening up the darn thing (after switching off the mains of course - it should irritate him just as much if he can't watch TV ;) Then seeing where all the wires come from and go to. You might just see something loose / burnt out etc. At least then you have an idea where to go from there. Things that are loose can be tightened - and fixed quickly and easily - even by a woman. Just use common sense.

I decided that I would never rely on a man for anything ever again. So I bought myself a drill. Great as a first powertool since its so versatile. This is naturally after the screwdriver set, hammer and measuring tape. Some other stuff too. Now I've added an orbital sander, angle grinder and jigsaw to the collection - again with some other stuff like clamps etc. thrown in. I've got a tool collection that my brother is envious of. Now I doubt whether I will ever get around to buying a welder (hey, you never know) - but at least I put up my own shelves etc. when I need to.

Good luck with the stove.

Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: STAR | 2004/12/09

Hey i know how frustrating it is not having a stove/oven...
when we moved into our new home we had to wait for carpenter to fit ours in and they had 2 million excuses and evenutally after 2 weeks, yes 2 weeks we had a stove/oven...

Here are some ideas: get the old scottle braai out and make a yummy stir-fry or fry anyting really...
Micro-wave pasta n sauce,
can make puff pastry pies on a snackwich maker ham n cheese filling..mmm.

hoep this helps and have yourself a relaxing evening :)

Reply to STAR