Question
Posted by: Curious | 2006/07/26

Fruits vs Vegetables

I am curious to know what the difference is between a vegetable and a fruit? Please define them. Like for instance I read that a pumpkin is really a fruit, while we see a pumpkin as a vegetable. Same with tomatoes. Is it a fruit or vegetable?

Curious

Dear Curious
I must admit that I do not know what the Botanical definition is, but basically fruits are formed after pollination while vegetables are usually leaves, roots, tubers, etc. Tomatoes are actually a fruit but have been classified as a vegetable. This has a lot to do with traditions, so that some fruits are called vegies and vise versa. You could click on Encarta on the MWeb site and check out if they have definitions for you.
Enjoy