Question
Posted by: TUTI FRUITY | 2003/01/19

FRUIT RATHER THAN A WHOLESOME MEAL

HI DIETDOC

I ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER WEIGHT OBSESSED PERSON WHO WRITES TO YOU, AM A HEALTHY EATER(FAT FREE/LOW FAT DIET) AND GET IN A MINIMUM OF 4 EXERCISE SESSIONS A WEEK CONSISTING OF MAINLY CARDIO AS WELL AS WEIGHT TRAINING.
MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN IT COMES TO ANY MEAL OF THE DAY, I CRAVE FRUIT ABOVE ANY OTHER FOOD. I OBVIOUSLY TRY TO RESIST THE TEMPTATION OF HAVING IT AS A MEAL IN ITSELF(EXCEPT BREAKFAST) BECAUSE I KNOW TO INCLUDE ALL FOOD GROUPS AND THAT EVEN THOUGH I SHOULD BE HAVING 5 SERVINGS OF FRUIT A DAY, IT HAS GOT A VERY HIGH SUGAR CONTENT. IS IT OK THAT ON SOME DAYS, THE MAJORITY OF MY INTAKE IS FRUIT ALONG WITH 1 STARCH IN THE MORNING AND A PROTEIN AT DINNER JUST TO AVERAGE THINGS OUT. I TRY NOT TO HAVE STARCH AT NIGHT.
MAYBE YOU CAN OFFER SOME GUIDANCE
THANX

Dear Reader
I think that you are on the way to becoming a Fruitarian! Now as you will have noticed from my articles and answers to queries, I am a great proponent of fruit and regard eating 3-4 portions of fruit plus 3 portions of vegetables a day as ideal. However, humans are omnivores and we also need protein, B vitamins, essential fatty acids like omega-3, calcium, iron, - the list goes on and on - to be healthy. It is, therefore, better to eat that fruit together with other foods at each meal - yoghurt or milk and grains or cereals at breakfast plus an egg or cheese and Lite margarine, for lunch combine fruit with cottage cheese or thin slices of lean meat or tuna fish and some wholewheat crackers with Lite margarine and for supper eat fish or meat with a starch (starch does not make you fat - overeating and excessive fat intake do) plus vegetables and a fruit. Click on 'Diet' and 'View old diet & food site' and read the articles on 'Balanced Diet I-IV' to get more info. Your craving for fruit may be due to the fact that you starve your body of carbohydrates.
Take care