Question
Posted by: Shezzy | 2007/06/07

fruit dainties

Hullo !

I just have a quick question. I stopped smoking three and a half weeks ago and have developed a craving for fruit danties !!! I am wondering whether its okay to go ahead and eat eat eat them or whether they are fattening ?? Fat content on the packet says 0.1 per 100grams which doesnt seem outrageous, but they are slightly sugared so perhaps I should stay away from them !!! On the other hand the packet says they are made from 100 % fruit which sounds like a positive to me !!! So not keen on packing on the pounds cause its never easily to loose them once gained.

Thanks !

Dear Shezzy
Congratulations for stopping smoking - this will do your general health and well-being a power of good. The SA Food Tables list an energy content of 1143 kJ per 100g for dried, mixed fruit, which is quite high. So despite the very low fat content eating too much dried fruit or fruit dainties could increase your energy intake and cause weight gain. Moderate intakes of about 30g a day (434 kJ) should not cause weight gain. Also try nibbling carrot and celery sticks, baby tomatoes, unbuttered popcorn in small portions and chewing sugarless gum to keep the cravings at bay. Increase your energy output with daily exercise to make sure that you don't gain weight now that you have stopped smoking.
Keep up the good work