Question
Posted by: Rae | 2008/01/09

fruit and vege diet

Hi. I started a fruit and vegetable diet since the year started with the obvious attempt to loose the 12kg i picked up last year. Is it healthy for me to be on this diet for a month?To me it seems like being a vegetarial except i dont eat meat and carbohydrates. My concern is will i gain the wait when i start eating carbohydrates and meat? Will i be able to maintain my weight loss after a month?
Thank you!

Dear Rae
If your fruit and veg diet contains less energy than your normal diet, you should lose weight on it, otherwise not. You can probably use this type of diet for 1-2 weeks, but if you use it for longer periods there is the danger that you may develop deficiencies (e.g. calcium, iron, protein, vit B12, etc). It is better to eat a well-balanced slimming diet that contains all the food groups including carbohydrates and meat, but has a lower energy content so that it induces weight loss. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a well-balanced slimming diet. Basically you can eat meat and carbohydrates even when slimming, but need to reduce your fat intake. Carbs and proteins provide 17 kJ per gram, while fat provides 37 kJ per gram. In addition fruits and vegetables contain plenty of carbs. Also keep in mind that increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise will promote weight loss.

1
Posted by: sh | 2008/04/14

hi
i want to know about the nutrional supplement its excession is injurious to health or not what kind of nutrionals supplement should be taken

Reply to sh