Question
Posted by: tired | 2006/10/30

fruit

hi dietdoc

why is it that after i ate fruit i feel extremely tired to the point that i cannot keep my eyes open.
I always thought that fructose is a slowly released and is not supposed to cause this sense of tiredness. I was under the impression that pastries and bread etc cause this type of sugar imbalance.....

Dear Tired
You may be reacting to some component in the fruit that causes histamine-release - a type of allergic reaction. Histamines do have the effect of making one sleepy. Fruit does not only contain fructose, but also some glucose, so you could also be reacting to that if you have problems with insulin. If your reaction continues, please consult a medical dr and ask him to test you for insulin or glucose problems, and potential allergies.