Question
Posted by: DEVIC | 2003/01/12

FRUIT

Thanx for the advice on prickly pears - I've replaced eating them with eating kiwi fruit. I hope that kiwi's are ok to eat if I have IBS. I will be going to a dietitian in the hope that they can give me advice on what to eat and what to avoid. In the mean time can you please give me a list of fruit I should be avoiding.

I know to avoid grapes, prickly pears, cantaloupe, any dried fruit, grapes, banana. Is there anything else. I eat papaya, mango, kiwi, pineapple, peaches, and strawberries nearly every day. Should I be avoiding any of them and is there any fruit that I can eat that can help speed up bowl movement?

Dear Devic
It's a pleasure. I don't think Kiwi fruit should be a problem. What about apples, pears and citrus fruit (when in season)? You may find that you can tolerate most fruits which don't contain pips like those prickly pears, guavas and most berries (except strawberries) and if you peel and/or cook them. Most people have an individual reaction to the foods that cause distress and it may be a good idea to keep a food diary where you note down the foods you eat and the symptoms and severity. This will pinpoint the problem foods that you need to avoid. To increase bowel movements it is better to increase your intake of insoluble dietary fibre (high-bran foods), if dried fruit give you symptoms, but discuss this with your dietitian.