Question
Posted by: Frozen | 2006/11/09

Frozen Veggies

Hi Doc,

Does frozen veggies have all the necessary ingredients a persons body needs? I eat a lot of frozen veggies as part of my diet, but is it beneficial? I also eat fresh veggies, but not as often as frozen veggies.

Dear Frozen
The best vegies are those that are picked fresh out of a home garden, but most of us don't have such gardens and when you buy 'fresh' vegies at the green grocer where they may have been lying in the heat and sun for days and then store them for another few days, their nutritive value will have decreased. So if you purchase frozen vegies that have been harvested early and rapidly frozen then you will obtain more or less the same nutritive value from them as from supposed 'fresh' vegies. Some of the nutrients like beta-carotene and all the minerals are not affected by freezing. What is more important is that you cook them for a brief period only in as little water as possible to prevent loss of vit C due to oxidation that occurs at high temperatures, and minerals in the cooking water. There is of course no need to add butter to cooked vegies!
Enjoy