Question
Posted by: Marié | 2006/10/31

Frozen Shoulder

What is frozen shoulder? For a long time my shoulder joint "clicked" with certain movements. Now it is extrememly painful if I try to move my arm backwards. Sometimes I have to assist with my other hand to bring it forward again. The pain only appears to be in the front of the joint.
Would a competent gym instructor be able to assist in "unlocking" the joint & strengthening the muscles, or must one go for physiotherapy?
Tnks
Marié

Expert ImageArchive

Frozen shoulder is one of those interesting diagnoses. In the past, the literature has said in the you can have a trapped 18 months before it will spontaneously correct itself. My experience has been that a frozen shoulder can come from many different parts of the body, and the payment limitations and movements are just the symptoms of this problem. Getting this sorted out as Escher depended more on the competence of who you choose, rather than the profession they belong to. I suggested ever you choose to go to, you ask them first to explain how they will assess your frozen shoulder to see what is going on, and then of course what they believe they will be able to do for it.

Douglas

1
Posted by: dani | 2006/11/13

the problem with frozen shuolder is that once it gets to the "frzen/painful'" stage very little can be done to it until it moves onto the second stage which could take anything up to a year. surgey is indicated in only severe cases which elps relase the tight structures but physio and any other form of treatment ( ESPECIALLY NOT GYM)cant really help "cure" the problem in that time physio can help with the stiffness and regaining movment in the later stages. Dont think hat you shouldnt do aything at all. try a ht pack to help alleviate the pain and what you doing with the other arm is right... try to maintain the amount of movement that you have left inthe arm otherwise its just going to be really really hard trying to get it back to normal once the frozen shoulder episode has passed.

Reply to dani