Question
Posted by: Bienkie | 2007/04/25

Frontline

I put some Frontline on my dog on Sunday. But she's still scratching like hell and there is fleas on her. When is the soonest I can put another tube of Frontline on her? She's only a couple of months old.

How old is the pup in weeks? Which Frontline did you use? Spot on - for what size dog OR Spray how many pumps? Are there other animals in the home? What are you using to treat fleas on the other animals?

6
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/26

Capstars are great, but they only work for a few hours - wonderful to blitz the buggers but not much good if they're lurking in bedding, waiting to jump back on the next day.

Use it in conjunction with other remedies - that's what it's meant for.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/25

As WR says, do not feed garlic, or onions either, they are not healthy for dogs at all!

We had a rather hectic infestation and they got into the grooves of our wooden floors we bought FleaGo from our vets and sprayed our whole house, garden, all bedding etc. It is quite pricey but lasts long, I understand you have a farm , so you might just have to create a "clean zone" for now and restrict access to areas outside of the clean zone for a couple of days until the frontline & capstar have started working. I know we experienced a particularly insecticide resistant strain of flea for a while this year, so instead of Frontline we used Advantage (available from your vet) for a couple of months and now can use Frontline Plus very successfully again.

Hope it helps, they drive me crazy too! Good Luck

Reply to Joni
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/25

The garlic story is a myth. Garlic is not healthy for a dog.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Bienkie | 2007/04/25

Thanks WR

Two things. I stay on a farm. So it's quiet a big area to cover :-) The other thing is she sleeps in my bed. And I can promise you, there is no fleas in my bed :-)

But I'll try the Capstar. Use to get it for my cats. But then they got clever and refused to eat the food I've put the tablet in:-)

Reply to Bienkie
Posted by: annie | 2007/04/25

A friend of mine mixes some garlic into her boston terriêrs' food. I have never found a flea on any one on them... Maybe there's method in that madness???

Reply to annie
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/25

Hi there.

Maybe you should try the Capstar tablets. They fight the fleas from inside out.
You should also look into treating your property (inside & out) by spraying with an insecticide that will kill fleas & ticks.

Wash her bedding thoroughly and when it is completely dry, sprinkle some flea-powder in it.

Fleas are little buggers, and if you do have an infestation - it is better to treat from all possible angles!

Good luck!

Reply to WR