Question
Posted by: Mason | 2008/01/25

Front Leg Licking

My dog is 12 and continually licking his front leg in one spot. I've tried many things to stop it but they only help for a while and then he continues to lick. Right now he is on anitbiotics, with the recommendation of putting him on antidepressants. I know the side effects of some antidepressants, and I won't subject him to that. I hate the antibiotics too, but it's a matter of him walking for not. Any suggestions?

Has the cause been found yet? It can be a behaviour problem. Light therapy is very effective but the dog must be prevented from licking during the treatment for it to heal. There are bandaging techniques that you vet can use as well.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/25

What you describe is a stress-related behaviour, and that means that in some respects, your dog isn't happy. If your vet has suggested antidepressants, then I believe you shouldn't let some matter of principle adversely affect your dog's quality of life. In any case, if the medication is administered correctly, under professional supervision, then any possible side-effects - which are, by the way, by no means a foregone certainty - can be dealt with either by changing the type of meds, or adjusting the dosage.

You obviously care a lot about your dog - at least try the meds your vet is suggesting. You can always stop them if the treatment is worse than the problem.

If you need further encouragement, then go to Google, click on the 'images' tab, and put in the words "lick granuloma" (including the quotation marks). This is not something you want your dog to suffer.

Reply to Chill