Question
Posted by: Joan | 2007/02/22

friends dog very sad?

I have my two dogs a Daxie and chihuahua cross they live inside and have access to the garden the whole day, a friend of mine also has two dogs both mix breeds they also usedto stay inside the house and she was home all day as she is a house wife. They got evicted and is my best friend i said i would look after her dogs for her untill she can get another place and get settled. I know it is a huge change for them moving to me, the younger of the two dogs is about2 years old and she plays like mad with my two dogs they love each other always getting up to mischief....never mind there is always a mess to clean up when i get home cos they like naughty children, anyway the older of my friends two dogs looks very sad i can see it in her eyes, she is always cowering and doesn't chase the ball with the other dogs or even eat she has a few mouth fulls and thats it, the neighbours asked if she was ok because she howls all day long, They also live in the house and are treated just like my dogs. The sad one comes and sits next to me and puts her head on my lap as if she is trying to tell me something, what could be wrong they go for long walks at night she isn interested, food - not intersted i even tried giving her biltong not interested. Please help me cheer this doggy up while she is with me. I don't what i'm doing wrong,

Please have the "sad" dog checked over by your vet as the change may have upset her immunity and she could be ill.

4
Posted by: SUN | 2007/02/23

Shame, she must be missing her mom(although yu are a very good surrogate mom)she is probably a sensitive natured dog and feel the seperation more than the other one. I hope your friend will find a home soon where she can take her doggies to live with her - all the best!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Kate | 2007/02/22

If you really want to spend the money you can contact an animal communicator to ask her.

Otherwise try telling her a few things that might make her feel better (now don't laugh)

I am so happy you are staying with me.
I acknowledge that you are feeling sad, you are a brave dog, have beautiful........, you are so kind etc etc

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Joan | 2007/02/22

My friend comes to see them everyday after work for about an hour or so, she just climbs on her lap and stays there till she leaves, she is very healthy. that was the first thing i checked and she has been by me and like she is for about 2 weeks now. she is a very well behaved dog and we don't beleive in hitting our dogs or anything as far as i am concerned the house belongs to my dogs and i'm the au pair......hee hee. I wish i could make her happy. I will try anything.

Reply to Joan
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/02/22

Check her gums. If they are pale whitish tinge to it and see if her tongue is also has a whitish tinge. It could be biliary and contagious amongst dogs. Take her to the vet straight away and don't leave it. If that isn't the case she may have sensed something is amiss and may feel she has been rejected and is not with her owner.

Ou Nooi my Weimaraner was like that when we took her off a colleague of mine. She loved the ride when we took her and when she realized she is not going back home she became very depressed, just raising ones voice sent her scurrying to a corner and shivering with fear. Like wise when we raised our hand unintentionally but to scratch her head or get something that was above her head where she was sleeping. She would also scurry away and shiver if we reprimanded our then puppy Simba, a Jack Russell he is now 4yrs old. Since we moved house and now have a pool she is at her happiest but now she is getting on in years she maybe turning 10 yrs old. We got her in 2003 when she was about 5yrs old and we are third owners, the first owner emigrated, second owners, my colleague had from when she was 1yrs old and they had her for four years and had another dog but felt they could not cope with two big dogs so she came to us.

When your friend comes around to see how her dogs are doing you must observe this older dog if her attitude changes and see if she is happy. All it could be is that she is confused at what is happening and why she is in this situation. How long have you had her. If you have just recently got them she maybe feels rejected and may have been very close to your friend, then it will take awhile for her to get accustomed to your way of life. Animals are very sensitive to their environment and what is going on around them than they let us on.

Reply to KAZ