Question
Posted by: Helper | 2006/04/12

Friends at school using drugs...

Hi CyberShrink

I have got a very sensitive issue to discuss with you.

Last week, myself and some of my friends realized that there are two of our classmates using dagga. One of my friends told me that the girl buys it from the guy, and that she saw how he gave it to her one time. We were really shocked, and recently saw how she gave him money secretly while sitting next to us.

CyberShrink, we feel that it is our Christian duty to help these mates of ours. As we do not have the proof that they are using it, but is suspecting it and believing it more and more, we really wanna help them. What can we possibly do? Our goal is not to report them to the police and ruin their lives, but rather to try and help them.

PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!!

Thanking you!!

Hello Helper,
its unfortunate if some of your friends at school are unwise enought to be using drugs, but it's quite common, and being terribly shocked about it isn't necessarily helpful. if you believe any friend could come to harm as a result of something they are doing, it is appropriate to talk with them about it --- that's a natural human duty rather than any specificalyl "Christian" duty. If they're around 18, they may especially resent what they may see as your meddling ; and moderate, occasional use, which doesn't continue for too long, probably doesn't do much more harm than smoking cigarettes. ( though it's just as bad for one's lungs and heart ). Kate is right that kids who drink are probably more of a danger to themselves and, espcially if they drive, to others, too.
That said, what they do in the privvacy of their own homes is one thing ; smoking and dealing at school is stupid as well as illegal, and if you have noticed, so might someone else who would rapidly report them to the police. Why not just talk calmly to them, without preaching, about THIS concern, and see what they think about it ?
The "gateway" theory is not a chemical effect, but can be a result of the dealer wanting to encourage a smoker to move on to more profitable products.
Maybe a calm talk with a senior teacher, NOT naming names, could lead to greater vigilance at school, and maybe the teachers warning kids that this is unacceptable behaviour at school ?

10
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/12

Believe what you want. I have been actively involved with counselling people out of rehab.

Reply to Tango
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/12

I dont believe that gateway crap. I know people who have only ever smoked dope and never moved on to anything else, and I know people who do all sorts of things and have never smoked a joint, so I think its wrong to generalise.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/12

dope is widely smoked - but never forget its the "Gateway"drug and its not to be taken lightly. Dealing on school premises is illegal. Finished. I have been a Drug Counsellor. Its not to be taken lighlty.

Reply to Tango
Posted by: pu55icat | 2006/04/12

Kate,so you smoke dope?LOL,now that explains everything!!

Reply to pu55icat
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/12

Im just saying how I would have felt if I were 18 and in matric again. I smoke dope, I dont do anything else, and I see less of a problem with it than if these kids were going out their getting themselves blind drunk. Old Hag - Im 25.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: kelis | 2006/04/12

Kate you bitter old hag! They are christian if you havent noticed. And they want to help their friends.

Just because you dont give a shit about someone, doesnt mean other people feel the same.

Just dope? you know what dope leads to? I'm sure you do,
since you love snorting coke.

Reply to kelis
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/12

Leave them alone, theyre old enough to make their own decisions, youre not their parents or the law. Its just dope! I mean c'mon. If some fellow student had come to me preaching about religion and saving me etc etc when I was 18, I would have made their life at school aliving hell, so be careful.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Helper | 2006/04/12

Kate, I am 18 and in Matric

Reply to Helper
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/12

How old are you?

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/12

Its a tough one - but apart from your moral duty what they are doing is illegal. You could confront them and say you will report them if they continue to do that whilst on school grounds or go and chat to your Guidance teacher. You could do both.

Reply to Tango