Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2008/05/29

Friend suicidal. What to do?

A friend of mine is threatening suicide or taking matters into her own hands because she has nothing to live for. Lives alone. No friends besides me. No one to talk to. Alienated from family and recently unemployed. She has seen a therapist a couple of times who diagnosed depression and feels that its not helping. She talks about dying or not wanting to wake up. Weekends are the worst because then she's completely alone and I can't always be there for her. She always had work in the week and weekends she'd become really depressed and break down. Now work is longer there either. I fear for her. I don't know how to encourage her anymore. Please help!

Your friend sounds seriously depressed and at significant risk. She must be seen as soon as possible by a local psychiatrist for a full and frank assessment and treatment. If she's seeing a psychotherapist ( without antidepressant meds ) and if that therapist is not using specifically CBT, there may be good reasons why this is not help[ing, but that does not mean that with proper and effective treatment she couldn't be helped --- she can. Maybe through a hospital casualty, or Lifeline can recommend a more effective local psychiatrist dealing with suicidal crises, she can find someone more energetic and more able to help

1
Posted by: Desperate | 2008/05/29

Thank you CS. I will try my best to help her. She is on no meds at the moment.

Reply to Desperate