Question
Posted by: bella | 2008/01/31

fried cheese

I need you to settle a dispute. I enjoy fried cheese (you fry cheese, without any oil or anything else, till the bottom browns a bit, then flip it over to brown the other side a bit, then you remove the chewy crisp snack, leaving the fat behind in the pan). So my mom says I shouldn't eat this because it is unhealthy. I say it is much healthier than "raw" cheese because you cook the fat out. Who is right?

Dear Bella
This is indeed an interesting question. If the cooking process makes some of the fat in the cheese drain out of the cheese then the final product would have lower energy and fat contents, and thus be 'healthier' than uncooked cheese. However all cheeses except fat-free cottage cheese are very high in fat so don't overdo the snacking on fried cheese.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: Y | 2008/02/01

Hi Bella,

Ignore Cheesy. She doesn't know what she is talking about. Even high-fat cheese only contain about 30% to 35% fat - which mean that the rest is something else - probably protein. It is in any case not even close to being "pure fat".

Reply to Y
Posted by: Cheesy | 2008/01/31

Your mom is right. cheese is pure fat so "cooking" the fat out wont help at all. Best to eat cheese only sparingly in any form...

Reply to Cheesy