Question
Posted by: karin | 2005/12/15

FRESH WATER FISH: HELP!

I've got 6 freshwater fish. Every morning when I wake-up one has died? I've got them about a month ago and they adjusted quite well. I've noticed that they are developing white spots on their skin.

Is it a illnes? What can I do to rectify the matter?

You need to have the water quality of your tank tested - many reputable pet shops have the facilities. Fish that are kept in suboptimal water are prone to fungal and other infections. The white spots may be a fungal or protozoal infection - 'white spot' or ich is just one of the possibilities. If you have a vet that does fish they may be able to do a scrape of the lesion and examine it under the microscope, and then tell you which medication to put in the water.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

1
Posted by: Fish Lover | 2005/12/15

Hi there,

I had freshwater fish a few years back and had this issue twice. This is and illness and it is VERY contagious. I suggest you put the fish without the spots into a seperate tank with clean water. I only learned about this desease after I lost all my fish. You can get medicine at the Pet Shop for this but in my case it was too late.

Reply to Fish Lover