Question
Posted by: Elsamarie | 2007/05/09

Frequent urination

Dear Doctor,I don't know if it is normal or abnormal, but I'm not getting much sleep lately due to the need of getting up 4 to 5 times a night to urinate. I don't drink much during the day (cup of tea or coffee mid-morning, no more than 2 glasses water during the day), no drinks late-afternoon or evening, yet, during the night my bladder seems to be constantly full to the brim, so to speak. During the day I would go to the bathroom only once or twice. I'm 50 years of age, pre-menopausal, and healthy. Should I worry about the frequent trips to the bathroom at night, and if not, is there something I can do to alleviate the situation, as I really don't get much sleep.

You should see your doctor to exclude a bladder infection. Hormonal changes can also cause frequency. Premarin cream sometimes helps for this.