Question
Posted by: Exhausted | 2006/10/30

Frequent insomnia

Dear Doc,

3 Years ago I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress after a robbery. Ever since, I have experienced problems with my sleeping patterns. I had been for counselling (de-briefing) after the event, and was advised by my doctor to try take sleeping pills for a while to assist in getting back to normal sleeping patterns. I was also put onto Trepiline for a short while. Although these worked for a short period of time, I found that my body became used to the sleeping pills and after a while, even the strongest ones did not work. I decided to stop taking them at this point. Over the last 3 years I have not had many good nights sleep. I am finding it extremely difficult to get back to my good sleeping habits (prior to the incident I was a good / deep sleeper). It is becoming extremely frustrating and I am finding that it is affecting me terribly. I continously feel exhausted and emotional. I just want to start sleeping properly again and don't know where to begin.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Perhaps you could recommend a sleep specialist in Durban for me.

Many thanks
Exhausted

Dear Exhausted
At Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital Neurology department, and also the EEG and Sleep Laboratory Tel: +27-31-309-5059
It may be worth your while to see a psychiatrist again - sometimes it helps to go on to an antidepressant for 6 months or so.
See also http://www.sleepmedicine.co.za/

1
Posted by: JAY | 2006/10/30

DEAR EXHAUSTED, I AM JUST WRITING TO TELL U THAT I AM ALSO NOT SLEEPING WELL EVEN WITH THE USE OF SLEEPING PILLS. I REALLY FEEL FOR U AFTER WHAT U WENT THROUGH AND KNOW HOW IT FEELS NOT TO GET A GOOD NITE'S SLEEP. PERHPAPS U COULD SWITCH OFF YOUR TV A FEW HOURSE BEFORE BEDTIME, TAKE A WARM DRINK AND THEN READ A NICE LIGHT STORY BEFORE U GO TO SLEEP. I FIND WATCHING TV, ESPECIALLY ANYTHING UPSETTING OR HEAVY MAKES MY SLEEP PROBLEM WORSE. THE MIND GETS STIMULATED AND CANNOT SWITCH OFF. I AM TRYING THIS TOO AT THE MOMENT, SO GIVE IT A SHOT. MY PARTNER SAYS HE HAS A VERY HEAVY STEEL HAMMER IN THE GARAGE!! I AM TEMPTED SOME NITES TO TRY IT! GOOD LUCK

Reply to JAY